Fat grafting has recently gained worldwide attention. Surgeons have been attempting to successfully graft fat for over a century. The early attempts were very unpredictable. In the past few years, interest in fat grafting has exploded. This is a result of newer techniques that are safe and more predictable than in the past. Fat grafting is now being successfully used both in reconstructive and cosmetic procedures.
Fat Grafting for Breast Reconstruction Following Mastectomy or Lumpectomy
Breast reconstruction using fat transfer has become a more widely accepted option for women seeking reconstruction following mastectomy or lumpectomy. Dr. Novia has expertise and interest in treatment of women seeking reconstruction following breast cancer. In his practice Dr. Novia offers many different reconstructive options. Fat transfer can be used in breast reconstruction, even in patients who have required radiation therapy.
This technique has exciting advantages:
- Your own fat is used rather than an artificial breast implant
- Your body contour may also be improved in the donor site (the area of liposuction)
- Skin incisions needed for this procedure are very small, often almost disappearing with time
- Fat grafting can improve multiple irregularities such as rippling and wrinkling that sometimes accompany breast implants
- Fat grafting can blunt the border between breast implants and breast tissue providing a more natural result
- Fat grafting can correct breast shape and breast size difference